Saturday 19 February 2011

Banana Bread

I only discovered banana bread as a first year student, so a good few years into my life in the UK and I really liked it. At the time I had no interest in baking and had no kitchen, so I used to buy it in one of the local shops. The moment I acquired a kitchen (and very little interest in baking) they stopped selling it and I have to admit - I forgot about banana bread. It wasn't until quite recently when my mum made some at home that I was reminded of it.
A big bunch of bananas came in the veg-box a week ago and they were all green and needed time to be edible. They were strange bananas though because they went from being green to being overripe without the transition stage in between. So I decided to make them into banana bread and see whether my own tastes anything like the one I used to buy a few years ago.


Banana bread

4 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups of flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
110 g butter (room temperature)
1/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tsp lemon freshly squeezed juice

How to make it?
Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease a bread tin (mine is 20 cm x 11 cm).
Mash the bananas with a fork - you don't need to do it perfectly if some lumps of banana are left they will still be yummy in the bread.
Sift the flour, soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl cream the butter with sugar until it's fluffy. Stir in the milk, eggs, bananas and vanilla extract. Add lemon juice to the banana mixture and mix all of the liquid ingredients well. Then fold them into the flour. Pour into the baking tin and bake for about 40-45 minutes until the bread is well-risen and golden-brown.
Cool before serving. VoilĂ , banana bread ready to be eaten.

(I used a BBC Food recipe which is slightly different and calls for an hour of baking - my bread was ready way before that, so I suggest checking it occasionally as it will depend on the oven and the size of your baking tin, I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment